Monday 27 January 2014

How do I sell myself having only had one job?

My role has been stripped back and I need to move on, but having relocated to the north jobs are few and far between
Motorway sign showing the South and London
Southbound? A reader relocated to the north for a job, but the role has changed and other opportunities are limited. Photograph: Transport Image Picture Library./Alamy
Twice a week we publish the problems that will feature in a forthcoming Dear Jeremy advice column in the Saturday Guardian so that readers can offer their own advice and suggestions. We then print the best of your comments alongside Jeremy's own insights. Here is the latest dilemma – what are your thoughts?
I am a creative producer for websites, and relocated with my employer from London to another large city two-and-a-half years ago. I have worked solely for this employer since I finished higher education seven years ago, moving up from the bottom to a middle-weight position.
Until a year ago, I loved my job: it allowed me a great deal of creative freedom. However, those freedoms have been eroded from my job description and given to other teams. I have gone from launching exciting, ground-breaking projects to essentially filling in templates made by others. This isn't just confined to me; it has affected many people in similar roles and as a result many have moved back to London or into other parts of the business.
I would love to do the same, and have been recommended to do so by a few quite senior people. However, I have never worked anywhere else and have no idea how to market myself, or indeed whether or not my role exists outside the place I currently work. On top of this, jobs are few and far between up north and I don't know where to look – there don't seem to be any jobs in my area.
In addition, I am planning to start a family and my current company offers generous maternity leave. I don't want to be perceived as the kind of woman who joins a company only to go on maternity leave less than a year later. 
Source: The Guardian 

No comments:

Post a Comment